Monday, April 5, 2010

Picnics!


Picnic in the mist, originally uploaded by rgdaniel.



As the weather gets warmer my thoughts begin to turn longingly to the romance of spring and summer. And these days I am obsessed with picnics! They are, in my opinion, one of the most romantic dates.

In fact, one of the best dates my husband and I ever had was when I surprised him with a picnic after picking him up from work. I had assembled all the food we would need, plus some charcoal and a lighter, and we went to our local state park and sat next to the lake at sunset. It was so romantic and wonderful and I still smile when I think of it.

Here is a list of items you will need to plan your own romantic picnic. And because I love themes, these are ideas for an Italian themed picnic:

A secluded, woodsy location (but not any place that is too far away from a bathroom)
A red and white blanket or tablecloth
A wicker picnic basket
A couple ice packs to chill the wine and salads
Linen napkins (much more elegant. But keep a few paper napkins or paper towels hidden away in your basket too, in case of spills.)
Silverware (not of the plastic variety. We're trying to keep this elegant!)
Two small plates (no paper or Styrofoam.)
Two wine glasses
Tea candles, (citronella might be a good thing to have, in case of mosquitoes)
Lighter
Source of music, loaded with her favorite songs


The menu:

Your preferred Antipasto (I would suggest olives, provolone and mozzarella, and a cured meat such as prosciutto)
A good, crusty Italian bread
Pesto
Your favorite Italian wine (I'd go with a red)
Two bottles of water

Salads/Sides

Caprese Salad
Two Peas in a Pasta

Main Course

Roast Chicken with Pancetta and Olives

Vegetarian

Leak and Asparagus Frittata

Dessert

Strawberries with Marsala
Your preferred Italian cookie (Italian wedding cookies, Pizzelles, etc.)
Some big, seedless purple grapes

No comments:

Post a Comment